Dear Parents and Guardians,
I have heard from many of you in the past two weeks. Father Grady and I hear your concerns. You need to understand that it is important for us to gather all the information before we make school wide changes. We have met with three entities specializing in security to review our process and procedures to ensure we are doing everything we can to provide a safe environment that is comfortable, and not full of fear, for our students.
Not all of our processes will be made public as this could breach security protocols in place. Last November, we had our annual review of safety and security on campus. One of our biggest security accomplishments this year was bringing our precious Pre-K students on our main campus. In the fall, we moved our calendars to OptionC and removed them from the public website. We made some enhancements to our Code Red Lockdown procedures, and tested our parent alert system. Many physical changes have been made on our facility, including 24 working cameras on campus.
Due to the shooting at MSD HS these changes will take place ASAP
- A paid Police Officer will be on campus everyday 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- The Police Officer will join us at Mass each Friday and for Stations
- More staff will be assigned in the hallways at arrival and dismissal
- An app is being previewed to streamline our student dismissal process
- Map at our entrance and in front of the gym will be removed
- Google map of our campus was taken offline
- Windows will be tinted in vulnerable areas
- All doors to classroom will be locked at 7:50 a.m.
- Front office door will be locked
- The front gate will be replaced (over the summer)
It is imperative that we work as team and you assist us in keeping our campus safe.
- All parents should be VIRTUS trained and fingerprinted (If you are not fingerprinted or VIRTUS trained, Mrs. Donnelly has the directions)
- Wear your volunteer ID when on campus (once you are cleared, see Mrs. Donnelly for a badge)
- Walk your children into the office when you are tardy or avoid being tardy
- All gates will close at 7:50 a.m., including the 2nd street gate. All tardy students must report to the front office with parent supervision to sign in
- Please refrain from letting anyone in a gate as you exit
- Email your child’s teacher if there is a change in your child’s dismissal assignment
Some of our parents have offered to support this plan financially. Security updates, including the hiring of a Police Officer, will cost much more than what we budgeted this year. If you would like to assist, please make a donation to SAFE, referenced security.
Our commitment is to provide a safe and secure environment for all of our students. Please know that the teachers have continuing training in lockdown procedures, emergency situations and there is ongoing evaluation and conversation about ways to keep our campus a safe space. I understand that we have different perspectives on how we can address school shootings, but we are all united in one goal, keeping our children safe and secure.
Thank you for your continued support, I count on our community collaboration to enhance the student’s learning environment. I am grateful for our priests, staff, parents and especially our students. We will do everything in our power to make good choices when making decisions to improve our school and will continue to pray for guidance and protection.