The National Junior Honor Society is the highest honor given to a junior high student and carries with it, a distinction that is recognized nation-wide. This organization seeks to create enthusiasm for superior scholarship, develop citizenship, promote leadership, and instill exemplary qualities of character. Membership in the organization not only recognizes students for their accomplishments academically, but also challenges them to develop further through active involvement in school activities and community service.
Prerequisite conditions for selection to the NJHS Chapter at Saint Anthony Catholic School:
- Students must be full-time attendees of Saint Anthony Catholic School for at least two quarters of a school year.
- During this time period, students should have time to establish themselves academically and involve themselves in various service and leadership activities, and for the faculty to get to know them and the quality of their character.
- Membership is open to qualified students entering Grades 7 and 8.
- The scholarship requirement is based on a student’s cumulative GPA for the prior year completed at St. Anthony Catholic School. The minimum GPA allowable is 94%.
- Through teacher recommendations, students should be seen to have a positive attitude, be dependable, demonstrate academic initiative, contribute ideas to improve the civic life of the school, exercise positive influence on peers, hold school offices or positions of responsibility within the classrooms.
- Student character descriptors being looked for: Takes constructive criticism willingly, consistently exemplifies desirable qualities of behavior, demonstrates high standards of honesty and reliability, cooperates by complying with school regulations, and manifests truthfulness in acknowledging obedience to rules, avoiding cheating in written work and showing unwillingness to profit by the mistakes of others.
At the end of each academic year, students who meet the above criteria are given a packet to carefully complete over the summer and asked to write an essay on what becoming a member of the NJHS would mean to them. This packet of information and essay are asked to be returned during the first week of the new school year to be reviewed for membership by the Faculty Council. New members are then chosen and notified. The NJHS Induction of new members takes place after a Friday school Mass in September.
Service Hours for NJHS Students:
In addition to the hours they need to have for their grade, they are to also take part in 10 hours of peer tutoring and 5 hours for a personal service project.
NJHS ANNUAL TOY DRIVE
NJHS is sponsoring their Annual Toy Drive to benefit the children being treated at the Children’s Hospital at Broward Health in Fort Lauderdale. “New” toys and items will be collected from Nov 28 through Dec 12. Decorated collection boxes will be placed in the homerooms starting next week to hold the toy donations. Please see the items on the Children’s Hospital wish list. Thank you for your continued support!